Mon. - Thur. 9 - 3:25
Fri. 9 - 1:25
The mission of the Sunset Elementary Library is to foster a love of reading, encourage imagination through writing, and build self esteem through positive reinforcement and collaboration with the librarian.
Library begins August 29th
Fall Literacy Night
Read Across Davis
- Scheduling - Each class will be assigned a 30 minute time slot in the library for instruction and book checkout.
- Open Library - The library is open for book exchange twice a day, from 9 -11 and 3:00 - 3:25.
- Book Check Out Limits - Kindergarten student will begin checking books out around the beginning of the new calendar year, and will check out one book that will remain in their classroom. 1st - 3rd grade students may check out 2 books, and 4th - 6th grade students may check out 3 books.
- Book Care - Students are responsible for lost or damaged books. Any damaged books should be brought to Mrs. Harris for care. Please do not attempt to tape, glue or repair the library books on your own. Books that are lost or are too damaged to be repaired need to be paid for in the office.
- Behavior - All students are taught library expectations. Expectations include: quiet voices, proper care of books, and being respectful to others. We also follow all school rules: Be kind, Be safe, Be responsible, Be respectful. I use a 3 strike system in the library for students who don't follow expectations. The 1st strike is a warning, the 2nd strike is a one minute time out to think about changing the behavior, and the 3rd strike takes away book check out privileges for the day.
- Computer Access - Computers in the library may only be used to search the library catalog. Students will lose library computer privileges if not adhering to the District Acceptable Use Agreement.
- Book Selection - Books selected for the library will support the curriculum and recreational needs of the students. Requests from students and teachers will be considered.
- Donations - Donations to the library are welcome and will be placed in circulation if they meet the circulation criteria.
- Weeding - In order to maintain an up to date collection, all materials will be evaluated for weeding. Materials will be removed from the collection for being outdated, inaccurate, damaged, duplicate, unused or no longer part of the curriculum.
- Inventory - To help maintain a timely collection and aid in material selection, an inventory will be completed yearly.
- Challenged Library Materials - Issues concerning library materials can most often be resolved by meeting with the school librarian. Policy forms for Challenged Library Materials can be found at http://davis.k12.ut.us/Page/46
- Library Advisory Committee - The LAC will provide input, promote library programs and may assist in challenges to library materials. The committee will meet at least once a year.
- Collection Evaluation Committee - The CEC will respond to challenges to library materials. The Librarian Teacher will chair the committee and be a voting member.
Monday - Pre K 10:30 - 10:45, Thatcher 11:00 - 11:25, Speth 12:30 - 1:00, Pre K 1:40 - 1:55, Stark 2:00 - 2:30, Heslop 2:35 - 3:05
Tuesday - Whitear 12:30 - 1:00, Armstrong 1:05 - 1:35, Glenn 2:00 - 2:30, Madrigal 2:35 - 3:05
Wednesday - Davis 12:30 - 1:00, Pledger 1:05 - 1:35, Stone 2:00 - 2:30, Thatcher 2:35 - 3:00
Thursday - Labrum 12:30 - 1:00, Hilton/Le 1:05 - 1:35, Robinson 2:00 - 2:30, Geffre 2:35 - 3:05
October 1st - Reflections entries are due. Large entries will be displayed in the library
October 1st - 5th - Scholastic Book Fair in the Activities Center
December 3rd - 7th - Scholastic Book Fair in the Activities Center
March 1st - Book Character Costume Parade
March 4th - 8th - Scholastic Book Fair in the Activities Center
The Library Media DESK focuses and prioritizes the reading and information literacy skills that students need to know and be able to use to help them read and research effectively in all subjects and with a variety of technologies.
Library Event Highlights
Davis Reads Theme: Treasures in the Library
Young American Poetry Books are here! If your student was published and you would like to order a copy visit http://youngpoets.com/book-orders/ Sunset El. had 37 entries selected for publication! Congratulations to our wonderful writers!
September is Library Card Sign Up month. Visit your nearest library branch to sign up for a library card. Clearfield Branch 562 S 1000 E, 84015. Syracuse Branch 1875 S 2000 W, 84075.
September 18th is Read an EBook Day. Login to Overdrive at www.davis.lib.Overdrive.com to read an EBook.
Visit the Clearfield Library Branch for S.T.E.A.M. Tuesdays - build, invent & create with S.T.E.A.M. activities. Tuesdays from 7 - 8 p.m. Visit their website for more details http://www.co.davis.ut.us/library/programs